Microsoft Lync Server is enterprise software that provides a platform for unified communications (UC). Lync Server provides an infrastructure to integrate common channels of business communication including instant messaging (IM), VoIP (voice over IP), file transfer, Web conferencing, voice mail and email.
Microsoft Lync Server can be used within a single organization, between multiple organizations, and with external individuals.
Notable features include the following:
- Functionality across a variety of communications devices and platforms.
- User-friendly communications control across all Windows 8 devices and architectures.
- Integration into all Microsoft Office applications.
- Multiparty high-definition (HD) video and content sharing for real-time meeting experiences and collaboration.
- Simultaneous display of up to five different subscribers' videos.
- The use of open standards, including H.264, allowing HD videoconferencing across a range of devices.
- Presenter controls optimized for meeting format, audience size, and content sources.
- Accessibility from within a computer browser to HD video, VoIP, instant messaging, desktop applications, and PowerPoint.
- Calling, instant messaging, and participation in Lync Meetings from a Windows, iOS, or Android mobile device.
- Lync-to-Skype federation to expand opportunities for customer acquisition and customer relations.