The Institute was founded in 1989 as a cooperative dedicated to IT security research and education. SANS maintains the largest repository of security information in the world and is also the largest certification body. The organization makes a large collection of security research documents freely available and operates an Internet warning system: The Internet Storm Center.
Resources offered by SANS:
- SANS Information Security Reading Room offers over 2520 research papers in 96 categories.
- SANS Weekly Bulletins and Alerts provides security news and vulnerability alerts.
- SANS Security Policy Project offers security policy templates.
- Vendor-Related Resources
- Information Security Glossary includes brief definitions of security terms and acronyms.
- Internet Storm Center
- S.C.O.R.E. - A mechanism designed to help industry members agree on tools to secure common software and systems.
- CIS Critical Security Controls provides a consensus-based ranking of the most effective security controls.
- Intrusion Detection FAQ (frequently-asked questions).
- SANS Press Room - Resources to help media cover the industry.
The SANS Institute’s GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification) program provides a standards-based means to ensure the knowledge and abilities of a security professional. The program encourages continuous learning through its work-study program which provides teaching credits that can be redeemed for a reduced rate on classes.