Browse Definitions:
Definition

Twitterbot

Contributor(s): Ivy Wigmore

A Twitterbot (sometimes spelled "Twitter bot") is a software program that sends out automated  posts on Twitter. 

Most Twitterbots work simply, sending out tweets periodically or responding to instances of specific phrases in user messages. More sophisticated Twitterbots perform various tasks, such as mining and analyzing tweets in real time. Socialbots, for example, incorporate artificial intelligence (AI) and sophisticated linguistic software to convincingly replicate human interaction. 

Many Twitterbots are specialized for various purposes. Depending on what the particular purpose is, Twitterbots can be useful, informative, annoying or dangerous -- just like human tweeters. There are spambots, pornbots and bots designed to promote products, brands and political candidates -- among a great number of other possibilities. According to Ian Urbina, writing in The New York Times, on average, only 35 percent of the followers of any Twitter account are actual people. Presumably, the remaining 65 percent are Twitterbots.

Here's a sampling of Twitterbots:

  • @NiemanLabFuego finds and retweets the stories that most journalists are discussing.
  • @trackthis tracks parcels for followers and sends them direct messages each time a package's location changes.
  • @EarthquakesSF tweets about earthquakes in the San Francisco area in real time, using seismographic information from the USGS.
  • @Betelgeuse_3 responds to tweets that include the phrase "beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice" with replies in keeping with the eponymous character from that movie.
  • @yesyoureracist and @yesyouresexist seek and autorespond to racist/sexist tweets.
  • @stealthmountain seeks instances of "sneak peak" and responds with a correction: I think you mean "sneak peek."
  • @anagramaton finds tweets that are anagrams of each other, using the same letters combined to make different phrases.

 

This was last updated in September 2013

Continue Reading About Twitterbot

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

Please create a username to comment.

-ADS BY GOOGLE

File Extensions and File Formats

Powered by:

SearchCompliance

  • pure risk (absolute risk)

    Pure risk, also called absolute risk, is a category of threat that is beyond human control and has only one possible outcome if ...

  • risk assessment

    Risk assessment is the identification of hazards that could negatively impact an organization's ability to conduct business.

  • audit program (audit plan)

    An audit program, also called an audit plan, is an action plan that documents what procedures an auditor will follow to validate ...

SearchSecurity

  • computer worm

    A computer worm is a type of malicious software program whose primary function is to infect other computers while remaining ...

  • black hat

    Black hat refers to a hacker who breaks into a computer system or network with malicious intent.

  • copyright

    Copyright is a legal term describing ownership of control of the rights to the use and distribution of certain works of creative ...

SearchHealthIT

SearchDisasterRecovery

  • business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR)

    Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) are closely related practices that describe an organization's preparation for ...

  • business continuity plan (BCP)

    A business continuity plan (BCP) is a document that consists of the critical information an organization needs to continue ...

  • call tree

    A call tree -- sometimes referred to as a phone tree -- is a telecommunications chain for notifying specific individuals of an ...

SearchStorage

SearchSolidStateStorage

  • RRAM or ReRAM (resistive RAM)

    RRAM or ReRAM (resistive random access memory) is a form of nonvolatile storage that operates by changing the resistance of a ...

  • JEDEC

    JEDEC is a global industry group that develops open standards for microelectronics.

  • M.2 SSD

    An M.2 SSD is a solid-state drive (SSD) that conforms to a computer industry specification written for internally mounted storage...

SearchCloudStorage

  • Google Cloud Storage

    Google Cloud Storage is an enterprise public cloud storage platform that can house large unstructured data sets.

  • RESTful API

    A RESTful application program interface breaks down a transaction to create a series of small modules, each of which addresses an...

  • cloud storage infrastructure

    Cloud storage infrastructure is the hardware and software framework that supports the computing requirements of a private or ...

Close