An acceptable use policy (AUP) is a policy that a user must agree to follow in order to be provided with access to a network or to the Internet. It is common practice for many businesses and educational facilities to require that employees or students sign an acceptable use policy before being granted a network ID.
When you sign up with an Internet service provider ( ISP ), you will usually be presented with an AUP, which states that you agree to adhere to stipulations such as:
- Not using the service as part of violating any law
- Not attempting to break the security of any computer network or user
- Not posting commercial messages to Usenet groups without prior permission
- Not attempting to send junk e-mail or spam to anyone who doesn't want to receive it
- Not attempting to mail bomb a site with mass amounts of e-mail in order to flood their server