Courseware is educational material intended as kits for teachers or trainers or as tutorials for students, usually packaged for use with a computer. Courseware can encompass any knowledge area, but information technology subjects are most common. Courseware is frequently used for delivering education about the personal computer and its most popular business applications, such as word processing and spreadsheet programs. Courseware is also widely used in information technology industry certification programs, such as the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ( MCSE ) and the Computing Technology Industry Associaton's A+ examination.
Courseware can include:
- Material for instructor-led classes
- Material for self-directed computer-based training (CBT)
- Web sites that offer interactive tutorials
- Material that is coordinated with distance learning, such as live classes conducted over the Internet
- Videos for use individually or as part of classes
The CD-ROM is the most common means of delivering courseware that is not offered online. For teachers and trainers, courseware content may include set-up information, a course plan, teaching notes, and exercises.