What is disk cloning?
Disk cloning is the act of copying the contents of a computer's hard drive. The contents are typically saved as a disk image file and transferred to a storage medium, which could be another computer's hard drive or removable media such as a DVD or a USB drive.
Purposes of disk cloning include:
- System recovery, for example to return a hard drive to its original configuration after serious problems.
- Provisioning new computers before sale.
- As a "reboot and refresh" option for public computers.
- Recreating your system configuration on a new computer.
- To return a system to an original configuration with no personal data before selling or giving a computer away.
Disk cloning is also known as ghost imaging.