Release-date forecasts vary, but the general agreement is that the iPad Mini will hit the consumer market in late 2012 or early 2013. The device will be priced lower than the full-size version, probably in the range of $200 to $300.
Expected features include:
- A touch screen with a diagonal measure of 7.85 inches.
- Apple Retina display (according to some expectations).
- Screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels if it does not have a Retina display; probably higher if it has a retina display.
- Thin profile, only about 1/4 of an inch.
- Storage capacity of 8 GB (gigabytes).
- 3G wireless functionality.
Primary target markets include gaming enthusiasts and schools that use interactive electronic textbooks.