Virtual printers work with print drivers that are coded to send their output to other applications rather than to a physical device. The software can help save resources because it makes it possible to carry out tasks that would formerly have involved actual printing without wasting paper and ink. Such tasks include:
- Printer testing and correction.
- Sending documents to a fax server.
- Creating PDF files from other types of documents.
- Creating other image files, such as JPEG, GIF and PNG from documents.
- Viewing documents so that errors and formatting can be fixed before actual printing.
- Adding special features to a document prior to printing.