Answer Key: Major IT players: How'd they start out?
1. Steve Case, co-founder of America Online, started his first business when he was a teenager. What was it?
b. mail order company
Case Enterprises sold gardening seeds and greeting cards by mail.
2. Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle, once crafted a large-scale database for:
In 1977, Ellison co-founded Software Development Labs. Ellison and his partners won a two-year contract to build a relational database management system for the CIA. The project's code name? Oracle.
3. Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computer, was known in his earlier days as a:
Phone phreaks built devices capable of mimicking all of the tone frequencies used by operators.
4. a. David Packard
5. a. recorded automobile traffic flow on a highway
6. c. ham radio
7. b. math teacher
8. a. expert hacker
9. b. chemistry and medicine
10. c. Xerox