How much do you know about Twitter-related terms and technology?
1. What character prefaces usernames on Twitter?
2. What's the term for services like Twitter that allow subscribers to broadcast short messages?
3. What do you call a post on Twitter?
4. Why are messages on Twitter limited to 140 characters?
Answer (Scroll to the third paragraph.)
5. Many people use bit.ly or is.gd when they post. What do those applications do?
6. What is a hashtag and why would you include one in a message?
7. How could you use a bookmarklet to help you post to Twitter without visiting the site or using a Twitter client?
8. If you reply to a message on Twitter, is your response private?
9. What does RT stand for?
10. If you use a certain application and tag a Twitter post with #fb, where will it show up?
How did you do? Let us know!
Alex Howard wrote about regulatory concerns about Twitter security.
See our post about using Twitter for business.
Michael Cobb explains the need for caution using Twitter in the workplace.
Check out our glossary of Twitter and messaging abbreviations.