Are you a real Know-IT-All? We've provided ten hints for ten popular
IT terms. How many can you guess without peeking?
1. This is the program your PC's microprocessor uses to get the
computer system started after you turn it on.
2. This refers to any program whose source code is made available for
use or modification.
3. This is the process of sorting through data to identify patterns
and establish relationships.
4. This is the place in a computer where the operating system,
application programs, and data in current use are kept so they can be
quickly reached by the computer's processor.
5. This is the transformation of a string of characters into a
fixed-length value, or key, that represents the original string.
6. This is the most common format for text files in computers and on
7. This is a guiding process for database table design that ensures
that the results of using the database are always unambiguous and as
8. This program processes statements written in a particular
programming language by turning them into the machine language that
the computer's processor uses.
9. This is a server that acts as an intermediary between an
enterprise's workstation user and the Internet to provide security,
administrative control, and caching service.
10. This is a high-speed special-purpose network that interconnects
different kinds of data storage devices with associated data servers.
How many could you guess without peeking? We'd like to know! If you
got 6/10 or more correct, we'll add your name to the whatis.com Honor