How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text (exactly or approximately) somewhere in the definition.
- After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. This is a condition in which the ping program is used to send a flood of packets to a server to test its ability to handle a high amount of traffic or, maliciously, to make the server inoperable.
b. jam sync
c. ping storm
e. ping strangeness
2. This is a group of programmers who are hired to expose errors orsecurity holes in new software or to find out why a computer network'ssecurity system has failed.
a. ERM group
b. tiger team
c. expert system
d. Computer Emergency Response Team
e. Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer s
3. This is the diagnostic testing sequence that a computer's basic input/output system (or "starting program") runs to determine if the computer keyboard, random access memory, disk drives, and other hardware are working correctly.
a. safe mode
c. initial program load
4. This term is sometimes used by help desk personnel to indicate thata problem is user-related and most likely has nothing to do with software or hardware problems.
a. cuckoo egg
b. mouse potato
c. silicon cockroach
e. butt splice
6. In TCP/IP, this is a congestion control algorithm that makes it possibleto quickly recover lost data packets.
b. fast retransmit and recovery
c. cache coherence
7. This is a protocol for specifying and controlling network trafficby class so that certain types of traffic get precedence.
a. Differentiated Services
b. specification of a sequence of flow objects (sosofo)
c. order of magnitude
d. flow control
e. discontinuous transmission
9. This phase of software development allows a sampling of the product'sintended audience to test drive and troubleshoot the product.
a. out of the box
b. lexical scoping
c. regression testing
d. beta test
10. This is the audio signal given out by a computer to announce theresult of a short diagnostic testing sequence the computer performs whenfirst powering up.
b. beep code
e. hard bounce
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
See the rest of our quiz topics
ANSWER KEY: 1c; 2b; 3b; 4d; 5e; 6b; 7a; 8e; 9d; 10b