|How much do you really know about virtualization?
Expert Anil Desai tests your knowledge.
1) Which of the following characteristics should you consider when deciding whether to deploy an application or service to a virtual machine?
a. Hardware requirements
b. Software support and compatibility
d. Performance and resource requirements
e. Historical performance data
f. All of the above
2) Which of the following terms describes a situation in which many virtual machines are deployed without proper IT oversight?
a. Server sprawl
b. Server consolidation
c. Network virtualization
d. Virtual machine sprawl
e. Storage virtualization
f. None of the above
3) Which of the following virtualization management approaches can help organizations maintain optimal hardware resource utilization over time?
a. Automatically reconfiguring virtual machines based on performance statistics
b. Deploying multiple copies of virtual machines to different host servers
c. Automatically moving virtual machines based on changes to resource requirements
d. Placing virtual machines on isolated virtual network switches
e. Storing virtual machines on a Storage Area Network (SAN)
f. Both a and c
4) You are a systems administrator that manages a lab environment for your organization’s software developers and testers. How can you reduce the amount of time and effort you spend on managing the lab environment while providing quicker deployments of new virtual machines?
a. Create a library of virtual machine templates and copy them to create new VMs
b. Invest in self-service virtualization provisioning systems
c. Give developers and testers permissions to create and deploy new VMs
d. Define standardized configurations for test environment virtual machines
e. All of the above
5) You are a software tester that is testing a complex application that is running within a single virtual machine. You have recently encountered a rare and intermittent software defect that developers have been unable to reproduce or troubleshoot in the past. Which of the following steps should you take to allow developers to recreate the issue?
a. Power off the virtual machine and discard any saved state information
b. Save the state of the virtual machine and provide a copy of it to your developers to troubleshoot the problem
c. Roll back the state of the virtual machine to a point in time prior to when the defect was discovered
d. Move the virtual machine to another host server to which developers have access
6) You are a systems administrator that is responsible for supporting a team of software testers in your organization. The test department frequently requires new VMs running a wide variety of different operating systems to thoroughly test a new application your company is developing. VMs must be able to communicate with each other over the network. You are concerned about the potential security impact of these new VMs. Which of the following steps can you take to reduce security risks?
a. Disable network and Internet access for all virtual machines
b. Place all test-related virtual machines on a private virtual network
c. Power on virtual machines only when they are being actively used in the environment
d. Configure virtual machines to run under an account with limited permissions
7) In which of the following types of virtualization are applications stored and executed on the server?
a. Application Virtualization
b. Storage Virtualization
c. Presentation Virtualization
d. Network Virtualization
e. Server Virtualization
8) Which of the following is not a system requirement for running Microsoft Hyper-V?
a. A 64-bit-capable CPU
b. A 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2008
c. Virtualization-related CPU extensions
d. At least 8GB of physical memory
e. BIOS and CPU support for the “No Execute” (NX) bit
9) Which of the following features is not supported in the initial version of Hyper-V?
a. The ability to implement a guest-level cluster of virtual machines
b. The ability to implement host-level clusters to provide automatic fail-over of VMs
c. The ability to store virtual hard disks on a storage area network
d. The ability to reconfigure memory and virtual CPU settings after a VM has been created
e. The ability to perform a live migration of a virtual machine from one host to another
10) Which of the following methods allows you to enable Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008?
a. Use the Computer Management utility to enable the Hyper-V server role
b. Use the Hyper-V Admin Console to enable the Hyper-V server role
c. Use the Add Roles Wizard in the Server Manager console to add the Hyper-V server role
d. None of the above – Hyper-V is installed and enabled by default in Windows Server 2008
Listen and Learn Podcasts
Using virtualization for testing and development environments
What is Microsoft Hyper-V?