Google ATAP (Advanced Technologies and Products) is the company's development lab for disruptive technologies.
ATAP projects include:
- Project Tango, a high-end tablet with spatial awareness, optimized for 3-D applications such as mapping and gaming.
- Project Jacquard, tech-embedded fabric for wearable computing.
- Project Vault, a secure computing environment on a Micro SD card.
- Project Soli, a radar-enabled gesture interface.
- Project Ara, a modular smartphone.
Regina Dugan created and leads ATAP. Dugan is the former director of DARPA, the independent research branch of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). The group has just 75 full-time employees, more former DARPA workers among them. ATAP has about a dozen projects in the works at any given time, each of them in development over a 2-year span.