Lightning (Salesforce Lightning) is a component-based framework for app development from Salesforce.com that is designed to simplify processes for business users, who typically do not have programming experience.
Lightning comprises the collection of tools and technologies behind a significant upgrade to the Salesforce1 Platform (now known as App Cloud), the company's mobile app development platform.
- Experience, a graphical user interface (GUI) that is optimized for speed.
- Lightning App Builder, which provides drag and drop capacities to facilitate app creation and customization.
- Lightning Component Framework, which includes tools and extensions that enable the development of reusable components and standalone apps and customization of the Salesforce1 Mobile App.
- AppExchange for Components, which makes over 50 partner components available in the App Builder.
- Design System, which offers style guides and user experience (UX) best practices for app development.
- Lightning Connect, an integration tool that makes it easier for Force.com apps to consume data from any external source that conforms to the OData specification.