Snapchat World Lenses are a collection of augmented reality (AR) 3D enhancements to live real-world environments as viewed through the Snapchat mobile app, which allows users to send and receive 'self-destructing' photos and videos.
The World Lenses feature applies cute, cartoon-like 3D emojis to the user’s screen. Word bubbles, text, objects and characters are added in real time to environments viewed through the rear-facing camera. Once placed, these 3D objects stay in the scene and can be captured in user photos and videos. World Lenses can also be walked around and interacted with through the phone in real time.
Applying emojis to a scene in World Lenses is straightforward:
- Open Snapchat, ensure the rear-facing camera is selected, and tap the lens icon in the top right corner of the app.
- Tap the open screen to display icons.
- From the icons at the bottom of the screen, choose the word bubble for text options, a rainbow with a smiley face for objects or the waving guy in glasses for 3D characters.
- In any of the three, tap the icon again to cycle to the next available sub-selection.
- Either place and size the emoji or follow the onscreen instructions to use it. Experimentation may be required. (Some emoji are used as thrown objects, for example, such as seeds that grow into 3D flower emojis.)
Snapchat has made a promise to add new options to World Lenses daily, keeping the AR experience fresh.
Snapchat introduces World Lenses: