Advantages of DTV over analog TV include:
- Superior image resolution (detail) for a given bandwidth
- Smaller bandwidth for a given image resolution
- Compatibility with computers and the Internet
- Superior audio quality
- Consistency of reception over varying distances
Digital television is not the same thing as HDTV (high-definition television). HDTV describes a new television format (including a new aspect ratio and pixel density), but not how the format will be transmitted. Digital television can be either standard or high definition.
In the United States, analog television broadcasts will stop in 2009. Analog television sets will require digital set-top boxes to convert transmissions. Most satellite and cable subscribers already have converter boxes. However, people who previously used antennas for "over the air" transmission and cable customers who now plug the cable directly into their sets will need converters.
Continue Reading About digital television (DTV)
- The Advanced Television Systems Committee provides standards, a DTV bibliogaphy, and other information .
- Digital TV: A Cringely Crash Course is the Web version of a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) presentation in the U.S.