A solution stack is an ordered collection of software that makes it possible to complete a particular task.
There are a lot of different types of solution stacks. Here are a few examples:
- A server stack includes the software required for basic server functioning.
- A Web stack includes the software required for Web app development.
- An application stack includes all the application programs required to perform a given task.
- A software stack includes the software required for a given task. (Software stacks include infrastructure software, rather than just applications.)
- A storage stack is a type of software stack that includes servers, networking components and server virtualization components.
- A virtualization stack is the collection of resources that, along with the hypervisor, make up the Microsoft Hyper-V environment.