BACKGROUND IMAGE: iSTOCK/GETTY IMAGES
A tower server is a computer intended for use as a server and built in an upright cabinet that stands alone. The cabinet, called a tower, is similar in size and shape to the cabinet for a tower-style personal computer. This is in contrast to rack server s or blade server s, which are designed to be rack-mounted .
Advantages of tower servers include:
- Easier cooling, because the overall component density is fairly low.
- Scalability, because an unlimited number of servers can be added to an existing network.
- A set of tower servers is bulkier and heavier than an equivalent blade server or set of rack servers.
- Cabling for a large set of tower servers can be complicated.
- A group of several air-cooled tower servers in a single location can be noisy because each tower requires a dedicated fan.