How to take the quiz: - After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text (exactly or approximately) at the beginning of the definition.
1. This is resetting your computer so that the microprocessor runs faster than the manufacturer-specified speed.
e. load balancing
2. This was the first processor to be shipped with a 1 gigahertz (one billion hertz) clock speed.
3. This is the continuous and somewhat overlapped movement of instructions to the processor.
a. flow control
b. cyclic redundancy checking
c. inverse multiplexing
4. This is the data path and physical interface between the processor and the L1 and L2 memory.
b. backside bus
e. virtual memory
5. This is a group of microchips designed to work as a unit to perform one or more related functions.
b. networking chip
6. This is computer object code that is processed by a program rather than by the hardware processor.
a. critical section routine
b. virtual memory
e. initial program load
7. This is a special program that processes statements written in a particular programming language and turns them into machine language or "code" that a computer's processor uses.
d. problem program
e. logic gate
8. This is the logic circuitry that responds to and processes the basic instructions that drive a computer.
9. This is one of a small set of data holding places that is part of a computer's microprocessor.
10. This is random access memory (RAM) that a computer microprocessor can access more quickly than it can access regular RAM.
a. shared memory
b. cache memory
c. stale data
d. burst SRAM
How many did you correct? Let us know!
This was last updated in August 2008