This week's quiz has a slightly different format. Your goal will be to match the correct term in the left-hand column with its description in the right-hand column.
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, click on the answer that you think iscorrect to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you ve chosenis correct, you will see the question text somewhere in the defintion.
- After reading the question, write down the letter of your answerchoice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at theend of the quiz.
d) Socket 7
e) Internet Protocol
j) Transmission Control Protocol
m) TCP Wrapper
p) dot address
q) Border Gateway Protocol
r) domain name system
s) Server Message Block Protocol
w) Transport layer
x) Network layer
z) layer 3
|1._____ This is the telecommunication protocol that all computers must use to be part of the Internet.
2. _____This adaptation of the Berkeley UNIX sockets interface (and its supporting program) handles input/output requests for Internet applications that use Windows.
3._____ This works closely with a router program to examine each network packet and determine whether it should be forwarded toward its destination.
4._____ This is one of two protocols that let a network administrator supervise and distribute IP addresses from a central point. It automatically sends a new IP address when a computer is plugged into a different place in the network.
5. _____This OSI layer divides a file into segments that are an efficient size for routing.
6. _____This is an application protocol that uses the Internet's TCP/IP protocols to transfer Web page files to a server. It's also used to download programs and other files from a server to your computer.
7._____ Unlike TCP, this alternative method of data exchange does not provide the service of dividing a message into packets and reassembling it at the other end, but instead relies on the application program to make sure that the entire message has arrived and is in the right order.
8._____ This was set up in 1994 to form a network within the Internet that could use TCP/IP to transmit multicasts of audio and video data in much the same way that radio and TV programs are broadcast over airwave.
9._____ This term is sometimes used to describe the TCP/IP software.
10._____ Each one of these is separately numbered, includes the Internet address of its destination, and travels by different routes through the Internet.
BONUS QUESTION: According to urban legend , the phrase "surfing the Web" was inspired by this co-writer of a pioneering white paper on TCP. He is often credited with "inventing" TCP/IP and is now thechief Internet strategist for MCI WorldCom.
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
See the rest of our quiz topics
ANSWER KEY: 1E; 2F; 3N; 4T; 5W; 6L; 7A; 8O; 9I; 10H
BONUS QUESTION: Click here to see if you were right!
Let us know how you did and suggest a topic for a future quiz! [email protected]